Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 23, 2003

Last weekend, I went flying gliders. Today, I spent the morning out at the airport teaching Civil Air Patrol cadets (12 - 18 year olds) to fly. To be more precise, I exposed them to flying as this was their first real flight in a small airplane. They had a great time, and so did I. Plus I get to fly and the US Air Force picks up the tab! The kids I flew with today were pretty eager, but we kept it pretty basic so as not to overwhelm them. They got to taxi the plane around (in open areas) and then once we got above 2500', they got to steer the plane and we even flew over their houses. I'm looking forward to flying these kids around some more, and am even more looking forward to teaching our boy to fly. I hope to have the chance to expose him to aviation early and often, so when it comes time to learn to fly, he wont be overwhelmed by being in the plane like the kids today were. That alone is enough of a reason not to get away from flying when so many other things are demanding my time.

No comments: